Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tuesday: July 20th

What a musical night last night! Snores were coming from all directions, and John’s cot next to me was squeaking like nobody’s business. As usual, we went back to the PT tent today. It was just me, so all the girls kept asking “where’s John?” I feel like a spectacle in the front of the tent…that crazy white girl. I was getting flattered left and right today though, and was left feeling awkward with my distaste for compliments. It made me really happy to hear that Jeff Berry, one of the interpreters, told me that it is his dream to become a doctor. He is seventeen and speaks English very well. It is kind of funny that if you call his name, he responds with “hello?” Thomas (one of the pseudo-interpreters”) kept asking about my mom. I think he has a little crush on her. He’s a good looking guy, probably around 22ish. He would say, “Does your mom miss me?” But you never know how me means it with translation.


The patients were all proud of me for now being able to count to 20 in Creole. I got a lot of chuckles when I was trying to do the days of the week, although they did try to help guide me through it. I always get asked if I like Soulja Boy, Akon, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, and all sorts of artists that I don’t really care for but smile and nod to anyway. It is funny the impressions our culture makes on them.


I have to say that the most rewarding thing I did today probably would sound really stupid to anyone else. Apparently some glasses come with a small painted on image on one of the lenses. Usually you see stickers, but these are really painted on there. The other day I saw one and got most of it off this one guy’s pair of glasses. Today, I noticed the same thing on Jeff’s: a yellow crown. He asked for “a favor,” to get this thing off because he heard that I had done it before (weird how word gets around.) Of course I was willing to do it and it wasn’t any trouble at all. Just a little rubbing alcohol and viola…a clean lense. But Jeff was so happy and grateful…disproportionately grateful. Something so simple meant a great deal. Although he was no longer “the king,” there wasn’t a crown in his line of sight anymore.


I was a little bummed that we didn’t get to go back to camp to play soccer tonight because of the downpour. Rain or shine I want to go tomorrow. It is time to sleep now, although the snoring has already started and Cindy’s fan is buzzing. The air conditioning shut off two hours early, so we’re all pretty much baking like potatoes in here. I’m planning my next trip down here though. These people are indescribable. I want to take them all back on the plane with me. You would fall in love the same way I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment