Friday, September 3, 2010

Friday: September 3

Slept like a baby...except I was cold again. Cold in Haiti? Madness!

Today we had a "party" for Junior in the PT tent. Betsy took him off for a little while to preoccupy him while we all pitched in to blow up balloons (that read "Now Leasing," "Approved," and "Happy Anniversery") and hang a giant paper chain. When he came back, everyone sang "Happy Birthday." Junior gave a short thank you speech and Betsy followed up with how much everyone appreciates his work.

I won arm wrestling contests with David and Malachie...right arm that is. When my left arm was put to the test, it hit the table relatively quickly. Malachie was hilarious! He is Mr. Karate. I now have about 20 pictures of him in various karate poses...and pictures of the inside of his mouth, his feet, his eyes (that's what happens when the camera is taken out of my hands.) With the near constant use by the kids, the "Battery exhausted" message came up about half way through the day, and the camera had to be retired to the ever-useful fannypack. (I've been saying for years that they have never gone out of style...and function!)

You know that hand clappy game? I don't know what you would call it. Well, I played that for about half an hour with the cutest little girls. We were sitting and clapping on the hard, rocky PT tent floor and this little girl, with her white sailor's dress, gets up all of a sudden, takes of her little Crocs and sits back down on them. I didn't really understand the game. All of a sudden, we would have to stop clapping and she would put her little finger up to her lips. Then I would put my hands together and she would slap them hard and repeatedly. I thought maybe I was supposed to be quiet during the finger period, but even when I was I got hit. I'm still confused.

I feel bad because I always end up with a group of kids around me, goofing off, and creating an annoyance in the tent. I was sitting in a chair when a few girls came over, pulled out my pony tail and started braiding. I didn't have the heart to stop them, but I didn't quite realize what I was getting myself into. Pulling, poking, dirty combs. And, in the end, I look absolutely ridiculous! Half my head is cornrowsed (how do you even spell that?) in this criss-cross pattern. I'M WHITE! Lamy was laughing at me and asking "why would you want to do that?"...and rightly so. Oh well, after all their hard work, I'll keep it in for the night...but it is coming out stat!

We updated dossiers and cranked up some tunes when we got back to LAC. I'm starting to feel droplets, so it is about to sign off.

Another good day : )

1 comment: